Masking at home is one of my favorite things to do. For me, it is part of my self-care: a little bit of me-time that helps me take care of myself.
Putting on a mask is much more than just that. It is a way to relax and feel good about yourself. And who doesn’t love the glow and clean feeling after?
Face masks are packed with goodness for your skin. Options are endless, so think about what you want to achieve: Exfoliation of the skin? Hydration? Removing impurities? A glow for a night out?
Masking helps all of your other skin care products work more efficiently: Serums, moisturizers and night crèmes will be absorbed by your skin quicker and deeper. By masking on a regular basis (once or twice a week), you can ensure that your skincare products perform better.
Say yes to a little bit of self pampering.
Steps to Masking at Home
- Clean your face with your cleanser. A mask should always be applied to clean skin.
- Using your fingertips, spread the mask on your face like you would frosting on a cake. For sheet masks, start at the forehead and gently place the mask over your face. Stay clear of the eye area, lips and nostrils, but do bring a spreadable mask down to your neck and décolleté. The skin there is similar to the skin on the face and should be included in any skincare regimen.
- Leave the mask on according to the manufacturer’s specifications – usually between 10 and 20 minutes. When using a clay mask be sure to remove it before it cracks.
- Relax – use this time for a bath, watch your favorite show, or chat with a friend.
- Remove the mask according to the manufacturer’s specifications. A sheet mask will just peel off, but most masks need to be removed with plenty of water. Use a wash cloth to gently wash away the mask then pat the skin dry with a towel.
- Follow up with a serum and or favorite moisturizer or night crème. If you plan on going out, be sure to layer your moisturizer under your makeup to ensure a proper barrier. You will see that makeup will go on smoother and last better on well hydrated skin.
- Take a look in the mirror and take a moment to really see your happy skin.